Sunday, January 22, 2012

Clinical Depression - I Have Nothing to Be Ashamed Of.....

.

As some of you know, I suffer from clinical depression as part of PTSD, which my doctor and I have been treating with medication and therapy for several years pretty successfully. I have had a setback recently with the loss of my little doggie Mai-Li, but with the help of my wonderful husband and the many, many wonderful messages from several of you fabulous friends on Facebook and Twitter, I am slowly, day by day, getting better. I want to thank you so much for your love and friendship throughout this most difficult time.

I also wanted to explain just what clinical depression is to help you understand the symptoms and see that it is something that is truly a medical condition which people can't just "snap out of" but actually need medical attention. However, with the right help, there is hope and people can get better.

The following are a list of symptoms to help diagnose clinical depression:


  • Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day


  • Loss of interest or pleasure in most activities

  • Significant weight loss or gain

  • Sleeping too much or not being able to sleep nearly every day

  • Slowed thinking or movement that others can see

  • Fatigue or low energy nearly every day

  • Feelings of worthlessness or inappropriate guilt

  • Loss of concentration or indecisiveness

  • Recurring thoughts of death or suicide


  • In order to be diagnosed with clinical depression,  you must have five or more of the above symptoms over a two-week period with at least one of the symptoms must be either a depressed mood or a loss of interest or pleasure. It also causes noticeable disruptions in daily life, such as work, school or social activities. I have been through periods in my life when I didn't want to get out of bed, or leave the house.  Fortunately symptoms, even severe ones, usually improve with psychological counseling, antidepressant medications or a combination of the two.

    Depression is nothing to be ashamed about, remember that is is a medical disorder, just like an apendicitis, that needs treatment. There have been many influential people and celebrities who have recently talked about their struggles with depression in order to help take away the shame many people feel goes along with depression. People such as actress Brook Shields, astronaut Buzz Aldrin, actors Harrison Ford and Hugh Laurie, as well as football player Terry Bradshaw, who is an advocate to remove the stigma of depression.

    So, if you find yourself or any of your family or friends with these symptoms, DON'T be embarrassed or think they will just go away. PLEASE talk to your doctor, there is help for you, you can get better. Believe me, it is worth it!

    And again, thank you all so much for all your wonderful thoughts, prayers and comments last week during such a terrible time for me.... Now you can understand HOW much it truly helped me.

    {For further information see: Mayo Clinic Health Information}

    .

    11 comments:

    José Iriarte said...

    From one survivor to another: Good post--I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad you seem to have weathered this most recent storm.

    Cathy Kennedy said...

    I understand that exercise can be a wonderful mood elevator. I'm not sure how this plays into someone with clinical depression, but I wanted to throw this out to you. I'm sure you already know this info, but on the off chance you haven't heard, now you have. =D

    I'm glad you're coping with the loss of you doggie. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers. I know with God all things are possible. You are magnificently created by the Master, worthy of happiness.

    Big hugs to you, my friend!

    Lucy said...

    How wonderful of you to post about your personal struggle in order to reach out to others and guide them to turn to professional help. I wish you continued success and once again I am so very sorry for your loss.

    Chelsea said...

    Good post. You're right. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

    Tami Winbush said...

    I'm glad that you posted this. Life has been hell for me most of the time. I also have PTSD, anxiety and major depressive disorder. But there is actually hope. You are NEVER alone. No matter who you are, there is someone who cares!

    I love you Lorie!

    Anonymous said...

    so sorry for your loss. my condolences. i've had a fairly good run recently after a down and out time this fall. just take it a day at a time...

    XmasDolly said...

    That is one hell of a Post there girlfriend! I must say first off I thought I was reading a magazine, but then you got down and out personal. I'm so proud of you, and you stood up for yourself, and your proud you've been doing something about it instead of shoving it under a rug! You go girl. I believe I have more respect for you today then I did yesterday. For real hugs sending your way! Smile girlfriend you've earned it. Yes, very proud of you.

    Ms D said...

    I had depression really bad when I was in my teenage years and actually attempted suicide twice and ended up in the hospital both times. Depression sucks and hurts big time. HUGS to you sweet friend <3

    Paula said...

    Glad you're getting help. My Mom had clinical depression. She never did find the right kind of help. :(

    Lynsey @MoscatoMom said...

    There are few things worse than seeing someone you love depressed beyond words, and them in complete denial. "I'm just tired." "my body just requires more sleep" "I havent put on THAT much weight since we met." .... that's my daily life living with a very depressed man.

    ~ Noelle said...

    sending you hugs...
    i am so sorry for your loss..
    love you girl

    This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010