Sunday, October 14, 2012

Have You Ever Wondered..... Plus a Few Oxymorons

.
Image Credit

1. Is it good if a vacuum really SUCKS?????

2. Why is the third hand on a watch/clock called a SECOND hand?
 
3. If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know?

4. If Webster wrote the first dictionary, where did he find the words?


5. Why do we say something is "out of whack" - what IS a whack?

6. Why does "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?

7. Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?

8. Why do "tug" boats PUSH their barges?

9. Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game" when we are already there?

10. Why are they called "stands" when they are made for SITTING?

11. Why is it called "after DARK" when it really is "after LIGHT?"

12. Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected EXPECTED?

13. Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?

14. Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean the opposite?

15. Why is "phonics" NOT spelled the way it sounds? (That one always confused me.)

16. If work is so terrific, why do they have to PAY you to do it.

17. If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

18. If love is BLIND, why is lingerie so popular? (I laughed aloud at this one.)

19. If you are cross-eyed AND have dyslexia, can you read correctly? (No disrespect intended.)

20. Why is BRA singular and PANTIES plural? (I guess it works if you're a Kardashian)

21. Why do you press harder on the buttons of a remote control when you know the batteries are dying or dead?

22. Why do we put suits in GARMENT bags, and garments in SUITCASES?

23. Why is abbreviated such a long word?

24. Why do we wash bath towels? We are just clean when we use them.

25. Why doesn't GLUE stick to the inside of the bottle?

26. Why do we call it a television SET when it is only ONE unit?

27. Christmas is such a strange holiday... what other time of the year do you sit in front of a dead tree and eat candy out of your sock?

28. Why do we drive on a parkway and park in the driveway?



These are just some of the things I wonder about when I cannot sleep at night.  Are there things like this that fill your mind? Or am I the only one who has lost her mind with idiosyncrasies? Let me know in your comments, so I have some new things to put in my brain.  =)

.
 

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Ha!! I love these! I need to ask some of my students these questions...I'm sure it would blow their little minds! LOL!

Jenine said...

As a linguist I can tell you the answer to number 15. :)

Phonics was actually 'phonetics' until it became abbreviated in the 19th century. 'Phonetics' comes from the Greek word, 'phone' which means sound and therefore means the 'science of sound'. It was only in the 20th century that 'phonics' became a word describing a method to teach reading.

And OMG, number 18 is SO true.

Adaptable Kay said...

I sometimes wonder about these things too when they come into my head--Then I ask other people and they just look at me like I'm nuts! LOL

Some good things to ponder upon my friend ^.^

XmasDolly said...

Well, I'm going to copy these and send them to my hubby. He's going to love this. Thanks for sharing my friend, and I hope you are well and doing fine.

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010