Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy 83rd Birthday Mickey Mouse

.


Eighty-three years ago today, my favorite little mouse, Mickey, debut in the cartoon Steamboat Willie... and has been going strong ever since. He has received nine nominations for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film and has won one. Walt Disney, the genius behind our little friend received an honorary Academy Award in 1932 in recognition of Mickey's creation and popularity.... who knew how much MORE popular and how far this legend would go.


Mickey also has the distinction of being the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame given to him on November 18, 1978, in honor of his 50th birthday. The star is located on 6925 Hollywood Blvd. - you know if I am ever in Hollywood, that is one of the first stops I am going to make!! =)


Mickey's likeness has appeared on many items, several of which I have... but my favorite is on watches. I have a collection that I began about 20 years ago and my sweet hubby has found me lots of unique pieces to add to it (along with other pieces of Mickey jewelry over the years). The one that I would truly love to have is this 1933 Ingersoll Mickey Mouse watch. I don't think I'll ever find one, and if I do, I'm sure it will be price prohibitive. =(


So... on your 83rd birthday Mickey, let me thank you for all you have done for all of us. The joy you have brought us and continue to bring us is such a welcome relief in this world that can sometimes be overwhelmed with sadness and despair. Heres to you and to many, many more years of your bringing happiness to me and all kinds of people of all ages around the world.


Let's always keep in mind Walt Disney's words... "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICKEY!!




.

8 comments:

Tami Winbush said...

Wow, my neighbor is older than Mickey and still walks our dog a mile every day! (Even in the snow!)

Cat Davis - Food Family Finds said...

How cool is that! I had no idea today was Mickey's birthday. I'm gonna have to tell Emma she'll be excited ... and probably ask me to bake him a cake. LOL

Adaptable Kay said...

Aw, I didn't know our literal birth day was that close together! :)

Happy Birthday Mickey Mouse!

Anonymous said...

yea mickey! although i was always partial to donald, even tho he could be a complete nimrod at times, especially to chip and dale

XmasDolly said...

Way to go girl! I sooooooooooooo gotta tell my Missy! I'm sure she knows & she'll probably laugh when I tell her. hahahahaha

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Aww you're so good to know this!

@therebelchick said...

I didn't know it was Mickey's Birthday last week! Happy Belated Birthday to Mickey Mouse!

Simply Being Mommy said...

Wow, I didn't realize Mickey was that old.

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010