Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding Recipe

.

 
 
 
Earlier today I posted a photo on FB of this bread pudding I made especially for Bill (yes, I like it, too). It is chocolate chip bread pudding, that tastes absolutely delicious.

I got a couple of requests for the recipe, so I decided to post it here for all of you.....


1  French loaf - 2 days old
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter - melted

Custard:
3  cups buttermilk (or half-and-half)
4  large eggs
1/2  cup granulated sugar
1  tsp. vanilla extract (or Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor*)
1/2  tsp. Espresso Powder*
1  cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark chocolate)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice bread into 3/4" slices, brush melted butter on both sides of bread (I use a jelly roll pan)

2. To make custard, beat together buttermilk, eggs, sugar, flavoring, and espresso powder at medium speed until well blended.

3. Pour some custard into an UNgreased 2-quart baking dish (enough to cover bottom about 1/2 inch). Sprinkle some chips over custard. Arrange bread slices in dish all around bottom, overlapping as necessary. Pour remaining custard over bread; sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips over mixture. Push down bread carefully so that all of it is soaked in custard.

4. Bake bread pudding until golden on top, 50 - 60 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners sugar, if desired.
*These items may be purchase from King Arthur Flour Company


I have also made this with blueberries instead of chocolate chips when in season. Just leave out espresso powder; use vanilla and not Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor.

If you decide to make this, please let me know and post a photo on my FB page or leave a link in the comments here.

Hope you enjoy it.... HUGGLES!

.

4 comments:

Jenine said...

That recipe looks delicious, Lorie! If I were eating grains (at the moment I'm not), I'd be making this in a heartbeat.

Oh and you might want to remove those spam comments. There are three above mine. Wow - I wonder how they triggered your blog to be adding that to.

Texas Type A Mom said...

This looks so good! I'm not a fan of traditional bread pudding because the raisins so this is a welcome substitution!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I just had to scroll down. Lord my dear that looks so freaking amazing.

YUP drooling over here. You know no sugar or carbs for 6 months can really take a toll on a person ... lol

Simply Being Mommy said...

Yum, that looks really good Lorie!

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010