Friday, January 28, 2011

25 Years Later - Remembering the Challenger Explosion

.





 On January 28, 1986 the shuttle Challenger exploded 73 after take-off as all of America, and the world,watched killing all 7 crew members including the first member of the "Teacher in Space Program," Christa McAuliffe.


Below is a video of the explosion as it happen (it is graphic, so you may not want your children to see it):




As I watched this video, I remember how devastated I felt that day, especially for Crista McAuliffe's children, Scott (age 9) and Caroline (age 6) and her husband Steven along with her students at Concord High School who were watching. I also remember how many school age children were watching that year as it was such a special occasion because a "regular" person was going up in space and that meant that any of us might have the opportunity to do so. I don't think I'll ever forget the sight and sound of the explosion, or the collective gasp when it happened.

As you go about your day today, please take a moment to remember those who gave their lives for exploration.  




.


5 comments:

Night Owl Mama said...

I remember this. I was a Junior in high school and we were all watching it go up and then...
devastating.

Anonymous said...

like the john, bobby and mlk assasinations i vividly remember the moment i heard....

Unknown said...

i was in 6th grade, we were watching this on TV as a class, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Lucinda said...

I lived in Ft Myers, FL when this happened...was watching on tv...then ran outdoors and saw the smoke clouds in the air. Very chilling and so very sad.

Your post is a wonderful tribute Lorie.

XmasDolly said...

Oh yeah, I remember this one too! I was waitressing at the time, and they put the TV on in the back & we all hovered around the television & some of us cried, some didn't, but I do remember the silence in the kitchen that day. It was almost eerie! So sad. Nice of you to remember them. May they R.I.P.! May God bless them and their families.

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010