Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ten Most Common Pet Poisons

.

Poor Mumbo was sick the other day - he was so miserable, just look at him, isn't it so sad. I knew that he hadn't eaten any new food, so I went looking on some of my trusted sites on the internet to see if there was anything that he may have gotten into that could have made him sick.  While I couldn't find anything that may have made him sick, I figure maybe he just had a bug, and BTW, he is feeling much better now, I wanted to share what I found on the ASPCA site to keep you all informed for your fur-babies.

Here are the top ten pet toxins you need to watch out for:


Human Medications



Human medications are once again at the top of the list of pet toxins for 2010. Almost 25 percent of our calls concerned human medications accidentally ingested by pets. The most common culprits include over-the-counter medications (ibuprofen, acetaminophen), antidepressants and ADHD medications.



Insecticides


About 20% of the calls to the APCC are about insecticides. Insecticides are commonly used on our pets for flea control and around our houses to control crawling and flying bugs. The most serious poisonings occurred when products not labeled for use in cats were applied to them. Always follow label directions.



Rodenticides


Baits used to kill mice and rats are mostly grain based. Not only does this attract rodents, but it attracts dogs and cats. There are several different types of rodenticides that can cause seizures, internal bleeding or kidney failure. Always make sure these items are placed in areas that pets cannot access.




People Food


Xylitol, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic are commonly ingested by our pets. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, while onions and garlic can cause anemia if enough is ingested. Xylitol, a sugar alcohol used to sweeten sugar free gums and mints, can cause low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.



Veterinary Medications


Many medications made for our pets are flavored for ease of giving. Unfortunately, that means that animals may ingest the entire bottle of medication if they find it tasty. Common chewable medications include arthritis and incontinence medications. Contact your veterinarian if your pet ingests more than his proper dose of medication.



Chocolate


Chocolate contains methylxanthines, which act as stimulants to our pets. The darker the chocolate, the more methylxanthines it contains. Methylxanthines can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and death.




Household Toxins


Cleaning supplies, such as bleach, acids, alkalis and other detergents, can cause corrosive injury to the mouth and stomach. Other household items such as batteries and liquid potpourri can cause similar problems. Always keep these toxins behind securely locked doors.



Plants


Both house plants and outdoor plants can be ingested by our pets. Lilies can cause life-threatening kidney failure in cats, while sago palms can cause liver failure in dogs and cats. Keep house plants and bouquets away from your pets.



Herbicides


Many herbicides have a salty taste, and our pets will commonly ingest them. Always follow label directions and keep pets off treated areas until they are dry.



Outdoor Toxins


Antifreeze, fertilizers and ice melts are all substances that animals can find outdoors. Keep these items in securely locked sheds or on high shelves where pets cannot get to them.


Thank you to the ASPCA for help with my baby... you are always there to for animals of all kinds. If you are inclined, feel free to donate any amount by clicking on the link on either sidebar. Also, if you ever have a question about something your animal has eaten or you think you animal has ingested a toxin - call your vet right away, or contact the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.




{Disclosure: Thank you to the ASPCA for this information. I received no compensation for this post, I just love my babies and wanted to share this with all of my readers.}

5 comments:

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

hey lorie! how u be? hope all is good. freakin' winter here in illinois. we have like mounds of snow 6 ft + high - ugh!

anyway, poppin' in to say hi. glad puppy is better and that face is just too cute. he DOES look sad - poor baby.

hugs & smiles.

~ Noelle said...

aww, poor thing... glad hes better now!

Amanda said...

I love the ASPCA! Glad your dog is doing better.

Amanda said...

Awww, glad he's feeling better now. I never knew about garlic, onions, and xylitol.

fredamans said...

Glad Mumbo feels better.

Add Poinseitta to the list of bad plants. It is extremely hazardous to a doggy!

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010