Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Happy 101st Birthday to my Father-in-Law

.
 
 
 
Today, my father-in-law, William Harry Shewbridge, would have been 101 years old. He passed away in 1993, three years before Bill and I began dating, so I never got to meet him in person. I do feel like I know him however, due to several cards and letters to my mother-in-law that Bill and I found while cleaning out their house we moved into after his mother passed away.
 
Harry, as he was called, wrote the most beautiful letters to Mary (my mother-in-law), they were sweet, thoughtful, and sentimental. Everyone ended with "to the swellest girl in the world, Harry." (It was the mid-30's after all.) Anyone who read these card and letters could tell that he deeply loved Mary with his whole heart and wasn't afraid to show it.  I am sure that is how my dearest Bill learned to be such a wonderful man, and if Harry were alive today, I would thank him from the bottom of my heart for being the kind of man he was so I could have the kind of man I do.
 
Harry's character has also carried on to another generation... Bill has taught my boys how to be just as caring, loving, thoughtful, and generous as they both are.  So to my dear Harry... Happy Birthday - I love you for giving me the most wonderful gift I could have ever receive. I wish you were here so I could give you a great big hug.
 
 
 
 
.

4 comments:

XmasDolly said...

What a grand picture thanks for sharing such wonderful memories.

Jenine said...

That such a beautiful gift to give to your family's future generations - the gift of compassion and kindness. And oh my! Just look at that picture. It looks like it could be a wedding in a classical movie. :)

Adaptable Kay said...

What a beautiful tribute to what sounds like one heck of a man! It's men with character, strength, compassion and kindness like that that make the world and our lives a better place :)

I would have loved to have found and read those letters--I'm such a sucker for nostalgia and romance ^.^

Alexis AKA MOM said...

What a beautiful man and love story! I could only wish for love letters!

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010