Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Disney Social Media Moms Conference - Recap Day 1


Sorry this took me so long to get to, but I ended up with a wicked head cold after the conference, which I am still battling. But I really wanted to let you all know what a fabulous time I had with all the terrific bloggers and speakers at Disney World.


The first thing I want to say is that Disney spared no expense making this a wonderful experience for all of us. The food and entertainment was amazing. While we did pay for the conference and our own way there Disney gave us so many things to make our stay more enjoyable - not only for ourselves, but for our families as well. So I must say thank you so much to all the cast members at Disney first and foremost... plus, being in a wheelchair, they were even more aware and helpful to me and tried to do everything to help me and make my visit even better. I'd also like to thank all the great bloggers who helped push me around the events - I couldn't have made it without you!!


On the day of our arrival, we went to the Hospitality Suite of the Polynesian Resort to get our credentials and tickets to the parks. We were given 7-day park hopper passes (including the water parks - which I'm not sure if anyone used as it was just so darn cold) and a media Fast-pass which allowed us to get in the front of the line at several of the more popular rides - WooHoo!! We were also given a huge bag of gifts from Disney that included a great long-sleeve Mickey t-shirt, a game pack, two watches (I collect Disney watches, so I was extremely thrilled with this), a picnic blanket, a huge collection of post-its, a Mickey Mouse padded laptop bag and a tote bag to carry it all in. Then we went over to the adjoining suite for snacks while we waited to go to ESPN Wide World of Sports for dinner. In the mean time, I spoke to Crystal from Simply Being Mommy on the phone and ran into Felicia from Go Graham Go.










We arrived at ESPN Wide World of Sports where the family members were able to use the facilities to burn off some energy and work up an appetite, while we were whisked away to Milk House to learn about some exciting new projects that Disney has in store for the near future.




While sitting next to Lucinda from Anonymous Mom dot Com we learned that during this summer at Disney World they will be bringing back the Electric Light Parade (WooHoo) and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror will have a special new "elevator drop" - no word on exactly what that may be, however. Also, Al Weiss from Walt Disney World Operations talked about the expansion to The Magic Kingdom's Fantasy Land including a new Princess Land where little girls can share experiences with each of the princesses in their own homelands! The Dumbo ride will also be expanded to twice the size with the queue being an interactive Big Top 3-ring circus. The Disney Cruise Line is expanding with 2 new ships, a 5 month European season, expansion of their private island Castaway Cay, and the 1st Northern European cruise and Alaskan cruise.


Sr. Vice President of Disney Sports Ken Potrock spoke about the ESPN Wide World of Sports area saying that they wanted it to be an experience for athletes of ages 6 to 86 using their sixty different sports available. They also have HD cameras all over so that no matter what you are playing you have the feeling of "making it to the big time" and being on ESPN because when you go back into the food court they have several HD TV screens where you just might see yourself.






After the presentation we were reunited with our families for an all you can eat tailgate dinner and dance party... where some really special guests showed up. Bill & I had the privilege of eating with Crystal and Ryan and their wonderful children, along with hundreds of other bloggers and their families. It was a great first day!























That wraps up Day 1 of the Disney Social Media Moms Conference... I will be back with posts for the rest of the amazing time we all had there. With more photos and information.... stay tuned for parts 2 and 3.....



Until next time..... Lorie

9 comments:

The Shopping Mama said...

What a great recap. You didn't miss a thing!

I was really impressed by how generous and kind everyone at Disney was to us. They really went all out and made it such a fun event for everyone, including the kids.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

OMGosh I'm so jealous that sounded like an amazing time! What a awesome and fun time!!! The boys would have loved this!

Amanda said...

Looks like you had a great time! Cant' wait to see the posts from the other days!

Adaptable Kay said...

Oh wow-That sounds so incredible!! I love all the pictures, especially the last ones of you all with the Disney characters :)
So far, day 1 sounds like it was a complete success, not to mention a TON of fun!

Felicia said...

It really was a blast!! What a great recap of day 1!!!

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Wow, a real Disney VIP! That is terrific! I really wish we could have made it. I love the idea of Princessland. Maybe it will be complete by the time we make it out there with the girls. Aiyana has been asking if we can go on an airplane to Disney World. She knows that is where Cinderella's castle is.

I cannot wait to hear more!

Maria's Space said...

This sounds like such a great time. I wish I could have gone. The social part is ok but I would love the Disney experience. You got some awesome stuff.

Must have been really cool to meet people that you speak with in the blog world.

Love the last picture.

I look forward to more recaps of your time at the conference.

Simply Being Mommy said...

Awesome recap Lorie! Rylan really looks like he's enjoying that cotton candy LOL!

~ Noelle said...

you are so funny! I know you were just like a kid there!!!!

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010