Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday's Recipe Swap Meet ~ Swedish Meatballs

.


OK... we know you have all these recipes that you love to make. You got them from your mother, your grandmother, a magazine, or maybe you made it up, perhaps you don't even remember where the recipe came from. Well, how about sharing them with all of us? We are going to share ours with you every Thursday!



My good friend and (according to her husband) excellent cook, Dolly over at XmasDolly and I are now doing a recipe swap; we want to share ours with you and wold LOVE to get some of your favorites as well... So welcome to Thursday's Recipe Swap Meet, here is all you have to do:





Photobucket


Post a recipe on your blog, sign the linky on either blog (they will be linked), grab our new button - isn't she cute - hubby says she looks like me... TeeHee? (above, on my sidebar and on my Co-Chef Dolly's blog) and check out the recipes. Don't forget that each week you actually will be getting at least TWO for the price of ONE because both Dolly and I will post a recipe on each of our blogs. How simple is that???



Bill likes his on the side of his noodles

Swedish Meatballs with Egg Noodles

Meatballs:
1/2 Cup Unflavored bread crumbs
1/2 Cup milk
1 small onion
1 large egg
1 lb. ground sirloin beef (use at least 7% lean beef)
Salt and Pepper to taste
EVOO (or butter)

~ Mix bread crumbs and milk; let it swell for about 10 min.
~ Mince the onion and saute in small amount of EVOO (or butter) until soft; mix all ingredients. (I find my hands work best.)
~ Form into small balls; you can use your hands, but I use a scoop to keep the size uniform (yep, I'm OCD like that... sorry). The size should be between a cherry and a ping-pong ball.
~ Fry the meatballs on med. heat in EVOO (you can also use butter) for approx. 5 min. turning to brown all sides.

While these taste really good, I find that I usually don't have the time or patience to make them, plus the nerve damage in my neck makes it really hard for me to mix it and then make all the balls.... SO, I usually buy some really delicious pre-made meatballs at BJ's.


Gravy:
1 Tbls dried minced onion (or 1/2 cup thin sliced onion)
5 Tbls butter, separated
3 Tbls All-purpose flour
1 1/2 Cup beef broth (I always use stock in my recipes)
1 tsp instant coffee (I used Espresso powder because I didn't have instant coffee and I love the flavor)

~ Melt 2 Tbls butter in large frying pan over medium heat, add onion and cover. Allow to cook until soft and wilted. (If using fresh onion, remove, set aside and leave juices).
~ Add remaining butter and melt; add flour, stirring constantly (I used my flat whisk).
~ Add broth (stock) all at once and coffee (espresso powder), cooking and stirring until until bubbly. You may need to add more broth/stock to get to proper consistency.
~ Return onions at this point if you are using them and continue to cooking until thickened.
~ Add meatballs to sauce to coat each one.

Cook egg noodles according to package directions; butter and salt/pepper to taste.

Serve either on top of noodles (as I like it) or on the side of noodles (as Bill likes it).



So now all you have to do is sign our linky so we all can find your recipes. You check out all ours and we will check out all yours. If you don't want to write it all down and you know of one on line just post a link to it on your blog or leave it in a comment if you prefer!



For more recipes, head on over to Ms.BiBi at Daily Organized Chaos.


Let's get cooking..... Bon Appetit!

{Disclosure: I received no compensation for this post. Any link or reference to a specific company is purely because I find that the products mentioned are the ones that work best in my experience. The links included are just to help my friends out.}

9 comments:

Alexis of NorthOnHarper said...

I love swedish meatballs and until reading this I never actually thought of making them (no real reason why!)
This may be just the kick I need to start cooking!!!

XmasDolly said...

I always wanted to learn how to make these. Sounds nummmmmmmers! Thanks girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

I'm a lover of all things meatball! One tip to save you a little time is to bake the meatballs instead of frying. Just put them in a 13 x 9 pan in single layer and bake them in 375F oven. Turn them once. I feel like I don't have to stand over them and watch so closely if they're in the oven as opposed to in a skillet on the range. Your mileage may vary. ;)
Happy Friday Lorie!!

Simply Being Mommy said...

Yum, I want some ;)

Tired Mom Tésa said...

Oh wow, those look delicious! I don't think I've ever had Swedish meatballs before, if you can believe it. I'll be trying this recipe soon - I think the kids will enjoy it.

Create With Joy said...

Hi Lori

I just heard about the hop from Stacy so I am swinging by to link up my latest recipe - and adding you to my list of recipe hops! :-)

I LOVE Swedish Meatballs but, like many of the gals commented, have also never made them. Thanks for sharing the great recipe - and thanks also for the commenter who added the tip on baking them for those who don't like standing over hot stoves!

Have a fabulous weekend and if you have a chance, please share your thoughts on blogging challenges when you visit!

Ramona

http://www.create-with-joy.com/2011/03/what-are-your-biggest-blogging.html

Jenn said...

I always wondered what made swedish meat balls different from regular meat balls. Thanks for a great recipe and I LOVE the instant coffee tip in the gravy. I'll be stealing (um, borrowing) this one! :D

~Jenn

Alexis AKA MOM said...

YUMMY and on a Mickey plate :)

I wanted to link up but my stupid pics don't show up :(.

Sweepstaker said...

This looks fabulous. I promise I'm going to make this one. :) Yum.

This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010